blockquote{ padding: 15px; margin: 15px 30px 20px; color: black; background: cccccc; font-style: italic; }

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Wedding Wednesday #1 - Getting Prepared

Oh how excited I've been to host my own little Wedding Wednesday segments here on my own blog. These won't be a regular thing around here since our wedding is quite a bit away, but I wanted to share how I've started the madness.

First off, we don't have a date set. We do, however, have a couple months that we would like to have our wedding. So as of right now, we're planning on September or early October 2013. Nathan refuses to plan a set in stone date until he looks at a Farmer's Almanac and unfortunately the 2013 almanac doesn't come out til August. Until then I'll just be pestering him...

Most of all, I'm taking this time to get prepared. I'm going to start my wedding binder (with sections for wedding, reception, etc.) and peruse magazine. I'm also tackling Pinterest, seriously this site isn't for me - too many things in one place.


Luckily, there are two magazines published in my area. I picked them both up (one was free!) to look for potential vendors. Sadly though, just skimming through these I've found that my "style" really isn't in these. I'm hoping I can pick up some helpful tips though.

So tell me, did you or do you have a wedding planning binder?? What helpful hints do you have for me?!?!

9 comments:

Amy @ Picture It said...

How exciting! Congrats! I still have my wedding binder tucked away in storage somewhere. It weighs about 30 lbs and it ended up being a big waste bin for all of my receipts, notes, and other miscellaneous finds for my wedding. It's great to look back at it now and see what went into planning our wedding though. Good luck girl!

Jenn W said...

very very exciting!!!
i hope you have so much fun planning, and that the long engagement allows you to be less stressed and just enjoy it!

Rebekah said...

So fun! I didn't have a binder, but my mom did. I was pretty easy going about everything so it wasn't hard to figure out what I wanted but there was a binder to keep track of all the notes and receipts!

Cait said...

i loved having a binder :) it really has helped me get everything organized and see what i need to do. i also made a huge check list on the front of each binder so all i had to do was see what i was missing or could check things off as they came :)

Katie said...

Yay!! I don't have a wedding binder. I'm not that organized. Although I do think it would be helpful. There are so many great ideas of stuff out there that it gets overwhelming. The best thing I've done as part of wedding planning was hiring a wedding planner/coordinator. I love her. You've got PLENTY of time though if you're not getting married until next fall. So, no worries. :)

Lana said...

I did have a wedding binder and I loved it! I can't remember all the categories, but I know I had dress, bridesmaid dresses and colors, reception, guest list, etc. So much fun!

Brittany @ Boots and Pearls said...

This makes me so excited! And we did the same thing about the farmers almanac. The lady that owns our venue actually said the same thing.

Anyway! I could write you a whole email with tips I've learned! :) But I LOVED my binder. I kept my checklist by months in the front. And had different tabs that I could turn to when we had meetings that had my questions and I could scribble answers on etc.

Most important. Make your budget and stick it in the front. Get the breakdown of each category and STICK to your budget! If you want to pay more for a photog take away from flowers, etc. And don't forget all the little stuff that will nickel and dime you.

Also, this has been a tremendous help. I made an email JUST for the wedding. All wedding correspondence with vendors, bridesmaids, etc. went right to that email. And I had tabs for everything. Rehearsal dinner. Florist and all correspondence is saved in those tabs. I can pull up anything we've emailed about which I why I prefer that communication because they can't go back on written word. And your wedding will be referred to as Last Name-Last Name wedding so I did soso.soso@gmail. Ok I'll stop now!

I'm so excited and you know I have plenty of tips for you! :)

Meghan said...

I did have a binder! It was SUPER helpful to keep track of ideas, the budget, etc.

Megan said...

It's so exciting planning everything! We had an October wedding and the weather was SO SO perfect. My best friend made me a wedding binder with a checklist.