blockquote{ padding: 15px; margin: 15px 30px 20px; color: black; background: cccccc; font-style: italic; }

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Remembering Granny Laura

A few weeks ago I snapped this picture of my late great grandmother's Ambarella's.


In looking at the beauty in this flower, I'm reminded of the life she lived and what a wonderful grandmother she was and how blessed I was to have known her. If I'm a 10th of the woman she was, I would be overly grateful. She was so Godly and one of the sweetest women ever put on this earth.

Aside from the wonderful things that everyone else knew about her, I miss the little things that made her "my" Granny Laura...

...her ah-mazing egg sandwiches. I still to this day don't know how she made them so buttery and delicious. I've come pretty close to making one in comparison but they still didn't have her "touch" on it. I guess nothing is as good as Granny makes it.

...how she would play endless games of hully gull with me and Holly. We loved that game.

...how for years she never had any tv stations other than 2,4, and 5 and most of the time those had so much static that you couldn't see anything. The only movie there to watch was Homeward Bound and I would recite it line by line.

...and most of all, I'm sad that my little sister never got to know her. She passed away when Hannah was only 6 months old.

Now I'm thankful that her Bible was passed on to me and that whenever I open it I can see her writing and her little checkmarks for every chapter she's read. They're on every chapter. What an inspiration she is, so long after she's been departed from this earth.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of her and I know she's up in Heaven smiling down on all of us.

5 comments:

Neely said...

this is so sweet Heather

Rebekah said...

This is so sweet. She sounds like she was an amazing woman!

Leslie said...

This is such a sweet post Heather! It reminds me so much of my Granny.. and I got to keep her recipe box, so I love seeing her hand scribbled recipes. Such sweet memories!

Amber said...

Aww so sweet! Sounds like you have some amazing memories of her which is great!

Megan said...

This is so beautiful, Heather! I love that y'all watched Homeward Bound over and over. So sweet!